LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Varamilagaai Thovayal (Chutney)- Hot RedChilli Chutney

I like to shop at HomeShop18.  Bought some games and toys for my children through them. They have a prompt and fast service and a good network.  It was delivered the next day I had ordered.

Varamillagai Thovayal is a very famous chutney in Chettinad, not only in Chettind but all over Tamil Nadu.  Thinking of Varamillagai Thovayal, my memory goes 15 to 20 years back to my native place Devakottai. My Grandfather used to have a cook then. We used to visit our grandfather once a year. When we were visiting him I used watch the cook doing all the work. Not much of electrical gadgets those days in my grandfathers house.

The cook, a male person, used to grind the batter for idli, grind thovals etc in a stone grinder called "Aattukal".  And other masalas he used to grind in another stone grinder "Ammi".  These two were his favourite gadgets.  It used to be so much sitting and watching him do all the things with these two stone grinders.  Sometimes I used to tell him, I will also help you but he used to refuse me saying that you cannot do it. Then I used to be adament and then atlast he used to budge and say ok.  But the minute I sit and try to move the stone "Kolavi" for grinding the batter, I cannot move it 1 single inch.

So this how he used to cook food, in stone grinders and "Varegu Aduppu", it is a stove which uses wood and not any gas.  You must have seen such types of aduppu in many of the Pongal wishes. So cooking this way the food used to taste great.

Coming to our Varamilagai Thovayal, he used to grind this thovayal in this stone grinder and the taste used to be yum.  You can have this thovayal with Idli, Dosa, Kothumai (Wheat) Dosa, Raagi Dosa, Vellai Paniyaram and so on. The list goes endless.

Varamilagai Thovayal is a best combination with Vellai Paniyaram. You cannot see Vellai Paniayaram separately without this Thovayal.  It is very easy to make gets ready in a jiffy.



Ingredients

For Grinding
Red Chillies - 10 nos.
Onion - 1 small or medium
Garlic - 2 pods
Tomato - 2 medium
Tamarind - 1/4 of a lemon size ball.
Salt - as per taste. ( I prefer to use Kal Uppu (Cyrstal Salt)

For the tempering
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 t.sp
Asafoetida - 1/4 t.sp
Oil - 1 t.sp







Method

Grind all the ingredients under the "for Grinding" section. I prefer to first add tamarind, salt, garlic and redchillies. You can adjust the amount of Red Chillies used to suit your taste buds. I keep it medium hot so that the children can also enjoy it. Then when it is little grinded I add the chopped tomato and onions. When it is smooth enough transfer it to a container. Heat oil for tempering, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. Add this to the chutney. Serve it with hot Vellai Paniyaram, Idli, Dosa etc.

You can find the recipe of Vellai Paniyaram here and here.


Sending this Hot Varamilagai Thovayal to Spicy Chilly who is a spice lover and is hosting a event called "My Spicy Recipe".

Also sending it to the event Winter Foods 30 min Challenge Event conducted by Sizzling Tastebuds.  Eat Healthy. Love life.







6 comments:

great-secret-of-life said...

looks spicy.. tempting
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

great-secret-of-life said...

looks spicy and yummy
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Bharathy said...

Wow! My cheeks are hurting :) (nakkule echal ooral) nice spicy hot thovaiyal. I have an addiction towards these kinds of fiery chuneys :) Lovely!

Hugs for supporting me towards the contest! :)

Asiya Omar said...

Wow! Looks spicy.

Meenu said...

My mom also makes this tasty vellai paniyaram with this varamilagaai thovayal. I have no limits for eating this. But i tried vellai paniyaram once but it was not as good as my mom does

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

Very tasty luking n so spicy